The Health Risks of Radon
- An estimated 120 Nova Scotians die per year from radon-related lung cancer – one person every 3 days.
- The health risk is a combination of radon levels and time of exposure.
- Smokers have a significantly higher risk of lung cancer when exposed to radon.
Why test your home?
- Home improvement: Radon testing and mitigation adds value to your home and reassure potential buyers.
- Cancer prevention: Radon gas affects non-smokers and smokers alike. Radon testing is an investment that helps protect your family and you.
- Peace of mind: Knowing you are safe from the effects of radon exposure is one less thing to worry about, as there is no way to know without testing. Testing and mitigation are a one time expense for a long term benefit.
Could your home have radon?
A home of any age or type will have radon, the question is how much? You can’t see, smell or taste radon gas, so you may be exposed without knowing. Radon levels can vary dramatically even between similar homes in the same neighbourhood.
Factors affecting radon levels can include:
Soil Geology: Uranium concentration and permeability – radon will move through sandy soil easier than clay for example.
Construction Type: Home footprint and design affect the area of soil contact and the number of radon entry points.
Foundation Condition: Foundations with numerous openings and cracks have more potential radon entry points.
Since there is no real predictor of high radon levels, the only way to know is to TEST.
Review of Advanced Radon Technology
We recently built a new home and wanted to make sure that we had good air quality. After testing, we were shocked to learn that our radon level was 600 Bq/m3, which is well above Health Canada’s Action Level of 200 Bq/m3.
We contacted Advanced Radon Technology and the next day, Geoff Petite, the owner, was at our house and did further testing to confirm that the radon levels were in fact that high. We were very impressed with his professionalism and how quickly and efficiently he worked to mitigate the radon. After Geoff installed the system, we were delighted to find that radon levels had decreased to 27 Bq/m3.
We would highly recommend, Advanced Radon Technology, for testing and mitigation in your home. Their expertise provided us with a lot of information about radon, putting our mind at ease so that we can fully enjoy our new home.